Tuesday 8 September 2009

Mecnunum Leyla'mı Gördüm

A very beautiful Turkish folk song. Famous interpretations include that of Aşık Veysel and Erkan Oğur & Demircioğlu's version.


Mecnunum Leyla'mı gördüm
Bir kerece baktı geçti

Ne sordum nede söyledi
Kaşlarını yıktı geçti


Soramadım bir çift sözü
Aymıydı günmüydü yüzü
Sandım ki Zühre yıldızı
Şavkı beni yaktı geçti


Ateşinden duramadım
Ben bu sırra eremedim
Seher vakti göremedim
Yıldız gibi aktı geçti


Bilmem hangi burç yıldızı
Bu dertler yareler bizi
Gamze okun bazı bazı
Yar sineme çaktı geçti


İzzet-i der ne hikmet iş
Uyur iken gördüm bir düş
Zülüflerin kemend etmiş
Yar boynuma taktı geçti


Translation:


I was a Mecnun, I saw my Leyla
She looked (at me) once and walked past
I didn't ask, nor did she answer
She lowered her eyebrows and walked past


I couldn't ask a brief question (lit. a couple of words)
Was her face moonshine or daylight?
I thought it was the start of Venus
Whose light burnt through me


Her flames rendered me restless (lit. I couldn't stop from her heat)
I couldn't reach the secret
I couldn't see the time of dawn
She was like a star that flashed by and disappeared


I know not her star sign
The sorrows split us in two
Your dimples became arrows now and then
And love pierced through me and passed by


Izzet says, 'What's the reason for a love affair?'
It is a dream I am having while I am wide awake
She turned her locks into a necklace
And love hung around my neck and passed by

No comments:

Post a Comment